Donate

Help Simon with his medical costs - every cent helps...

Saturday, November 5, 2011

The story so far...

This is my first blog, and i am writing this firstly, to document my story for others to take heed, and secondly so i have a complete history of everything as it happens here.

So, a quick introduction then...

My name is Simon, and i am a 33yr old South African. I have lived in London for the last 11 years, working as an electrician, but got bored of the lifestyle and wanted something different.

I travelled back home to SA, then onto South America for what was supposed to be a job in Paraguay, which didnt come through, and finally a bit of travelling Bolivia for 6 weeks before my travel funds ran out.

I found an opportunity to train as a Scuba Divemaster at a dive resort in the Dominican Republic, which i grabbed with both hands, and arrived here around the end of June this year.

I straight away knew that i was doing what i was meant to be doing in life. I loved the ocean, and loved learning all the new things that went with the dive environment. The fact that my life was spent on the beach or in the sea, and in a pair of board shorts was incredible. I almost felt guilty as this was meant to be work!

After 2 months here i qualified as a Divemaster, and then started training up for my Instructors exams in August.

All went well and i qualified as a Scuba Instructor the end of August.

I started teaching beginner courses and also some first aid courses, but with there being 4 Instructors at the dive centre already, my continued work as Instructor was not guaranteed.

I started building a website for the dive centre, and was travelling in every day with my laptop by public transport.

Life was good...

No comments:

Post a Comment