Donate

Help Simon with his medical costs - every cent helps...

Monday, November 28, 2011

Finally, Canela delivers a positive day!

Well, the good news is that i got to see the doctor this evening!

He cut the old plaster cast off and i got to see what my leg looks like.
Not as bad as i imagined to be honest, except that it is quite wasted away in the muscle department.
But this is inevitable, so although it doesn't look great, it doesn't look terrible. It still looks like a leg. And feels ok too.

Gabrielle went off to buy the materials needed for the next cast, and i sat chatting to the doc.

He was happy with the progress, and when Gabe came back with the gear, he wrapped my leg in cotton wool, then light bandages, and then, after dipping the roll of blue fibreglass in the water, wrapped it around my foot, creating a big blue sock up to just below my knee.
After about 10 minutes it started to go hard, and he moulded it into the correct shape, and then applied another 2 rolls over the top.

And that was that.

A big blue plaster cast. Yay! Better than the boring white one i had before!



He was really happy to hear about the physio Gabe was doing with me too.

Then he gave me a prescription for 2 xrays, 1 on my lower leg, and 1 on my hip, and i said goodbye and headed for the Radiology department.

I had my xrays taken and then we headed home.

The doc said to me that i didn't need to get any xrays now because it is only after 2 months that u will start to see any bone growth, but after seeing the xray of what my fibula looked like, i was keen to set my mind at ease and get another taken anyway.

I've just finished supper now, and have had a look at my 6-week-on xrays. I am very happy to say that the terrible picture of the fibula is somehow, almost back together. It actually looks like in the next 6 weeks before my next visit, it might grow back together!

The tibia is not lined up perfectly with the pin in it, but i reckon over time it will grow together ok.

So, with a mind a lot more relaxed now, i can look forward to a good xmas and 9th January i head back to get the cast off. Then its starting to learn to walk again!
This gives me 6 weeks to get my mobility back in my knee and strengthen my leg in eager anticipation!

A whole group of my closest mates here, came round this evening, which was quite a surprise!

I caught them up on all the news, and we chatted for a while.
They all said not to worry, and that monday next week was the 1st of the month, and that i would have another permanent accommodation by then.

Fingers crossed. But, i feel i have turned a corner now, and things'll be a lot better from now on. Just the house left, and then it is full on concentration on recovery, xmas, new years parties, and the best present ever in the new year. The gift of being able to walk again!

8))

1 comment: