Donate

Help Simon with his medical costs - every cent helps...

Saturday, November 5, 2011

A morning from hell...

I got a phone call from one of my mates saying that they knew of a very good Dominican attorney and that he could be there to help me because it didn't sound like these other 2 were doing much for me?!

I had been in the hospital for almost 3 weeks now, and nothing had been resolved. As far as i understood, things were in the same position as when i had arrived as far as sorting the hospital out and me leaving this dreaded room 8!

The hospitals lawyer, the lady from the previous evening, arrived around 9.30am. I told her that my friends would be here at 10.30am, and she left saying she would be back soon.

My lawyers arrived around 10amish, and she came into the room with them. I told them i needed to wait for my other friends to be here. They agreed, but sat in my room discussing my case in spanish.

When my mate arrived, they came into the room with another lady, and she told them to leave and that she needed to chat to me alone.

I chatted to her and she told me that she had a lawyer whom she had known for many years, and he was legit, and couldn't be bought off. Unfortunately, a big problem in the DR. If you have money you are untouchable. Everyone has a price! This might explain my lawyers attitiude towards getting this case resolved?!

She called her lawyer friend and he was here within 15min.

I explained the entire case to him and he listened and then said to me that we needed to urgently get my name put on the police records and that this would be his first thing to sort out.

Then the other lawyers came in, and the hospital's lawyers, and their interpreter, and my mate, and they all started talking and ended up having a heated debate about my case all in spanish, with pointing of fingers and raised voices! It was not a pleasant situation at all.

So, at the end of all this commotion, which lasted for about an hour or more, my old and new lawyers were left behind, and the hospital lawyer had given them a few more days to sort something out.

The lawyers chatted amongst themselves and decided that they would work together on the case.
My new lawyer would head to the courts in Higuey and see if he could get my name put on the police reports without me being there, and the other lawyers would try to speak to the insurance company(which they had apparently been doing for the last 2 weeks).

Finally it seemed like things were moving forward, although i now had another lawyer onboard and them working together seemed to me to be a case of too many cooks....but at least i had people doing something for me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment