Donate

Help Simon with his medical costs - every cent helps...

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Airports -- Take 3

Saturday morning arrived, and another car hire later, and another trip up to Santo Domingo with my mate loomed large.
This was our 3rd trip in the last 4 days, so it was with a little bit of mounting frustration that we climbed in and started the 2h drive back to the airport.
I went to check in, with the ticket that my parents had now paid for, in my possession, and they accepted my bags and asked me if i required a wheelchair and someone to help me thru immigration?
I asked for some help, and a guy from the airlines arrived with my wheelchair.
My mate gave him instructions in Spanish as to why i had photocopies of my UK passport, and what to tell the immigration officer.
I was extremely nervous because if there were any altercations, then i would be stuck in the DR with no accommodation and more importantly no more money, as it had all been sunk into getting me back home!
It went thru without a hitch, and i was wheeled into the departure area to wait for my plane.
After an impossibly long 2h delay due to technical problems, i was off down the passage to board the plane.
I was first on the plane, which was a first for me.
After another 30min of everyone sitting on the runway waiting, we were finally into the air, and i breathed a huge sigh of relief as i watched the tarmac, and the DR, disappear into the distance!
I was free!
I was going home!
The nightmare was finally coming to an end...

No comments:

Post a Comment