Donate

Help Simon with his medical costs - every cent helps...

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Airports -- Take 2

After what seemed like forever, friday arrived.
My ticket had been booked with the last of the money from my family they had available, including a very generous contribution form my grandfather for my birthday, donations from my mates off of this website, and a little help from my previous dive company as well.
It was a 5pm flight via Lima in Peru, arrriving in Sao Paulo the following morning at 5am. I needed to change flights in Lima, but there was only a 1 hour stopover, so that wasn't too bad.
We arrived at the airport around 2pm, and went over to the check in desk to hand in my bags.
I was asked for my passport, and after a minute, the person helping me disappeared with my passport. She was chatting to another lady further down the row of check-in attendants.
She returned and told me that there was a problem.
My heart skipped a few beats!
Apparently i needed my onward travel documents in order for them to process my booking!
I had specifically asked my parents to hold off on paying for my date change for my return ticket from Sao Paulo to Joburg, as this was emergency money in case anything went wrong at the airport, and i didn't want it wasted in paying for a flight i could not catch if i was held up in Santo Domingo for any reason.
For this reason, it was not a confirmed flight as yet.
It was only for the following tuesday, as i was planning on spending 2 days with my bro, who happened to be visiting his girlfriends parents in Sao Paulo at the time.
But, without this ticket, i was not going to be boarding the plane!
I went thru to their offices in the airport and checked online, but all i had in my email was the old ticket, and an email from the SAA representative confirming the date change. I did not have the all important e-ticket that i needed to present to the airlines!
So, with a bit of fuss, they changed my ticket to the next day, saturday, for the same time.
They were very nice to change it for free, as this was, essentially my mistake.
So, off we went, back to Bayahibe, a 2h drive away.
On arriving back in Bayahibe, my place i was staying, had already been filled by new tenants, so i was effectively homeless!
Luckily a mate had just moved out of their old place and still had 24h left on his old lease, so i moved in there for the night...

No comments:

Post a Comment