Donate

Help Simon with his medical costs - every cent helps...

Sunday, August 17, 2014

A sunny winters day

Its been quite a warm winter this year.
And today didn't disappoint either. 28C and not a breath of wind.
It was an afternoon made for fishing, with an incoming tide late in the afternoon.
The last time i went fishing off of Central Beach, i only made it half way to the river mouth. Its a fairly long walk of about 300m from the car park to the seaside across the sand, and then around another 1km to the river mouth along the beach. If you keep going, you double back on yourself on the river side of the beach, and thats another good 1-1.5km stretch again, back to the car park.
Last time had been about 3 months ago.
I'd made it over the sand and about another 150m down the beach and my leg had said no further unless i preferred to hop home!
I'd made it back to the car afterwards, but it really took it out of me.
Today was perfect for a fish from the river mouth and i decided i would make the mission, both for the enjoyment sake, and also to see where i was at with my strength and stamina.
I think its these little missions you make that are the away-from-the-daily-routine kind of exercise sessions that really enable you to see how far you've come.
I made it across the sand and all the way to the mouth. I fished there for an hour and then walked around the point to the river side of the beach. I fished there for another couple of hours, and made my way back as the sun was setting, all the way to the carpark.
I stopped twice, as much to soak up the last of the sun and to appreciate the beautiful river reflecting like glass in front of me, as to take a break.
I was very impressed with the trip. No fish were caught, but it was a great day out and i was very happy with how quickly my leg is getting stronger now that i am using it every day.
I am set to join the gym in the next week or so, and then i will take things up another notch.
Apart from the difference in length, i feel that i will make a close to full recovery in the coming months and years.
I will wait and see how my back and my knee hold up over time, but i am doing a lot of core strength work, which is very important in a strong body.
Just thought i'd share my little good news story.
Dont ever look back and regret. Look around you and appreciate. Look ahead of you and be excited.
Your future is yours to create.
Peace




No comments:

Post a Comment