Donate

Help Simon with his medical costs - every cent helps...

Monday, March 18, 2013

2 hops forward and 1 hop back...!

Well, i said last time that the next time i blogged would be post op...unfortunately, this is not the case!
Monday 4th when i went in to see the docs to book me in for my op, they told me that there were no free beds, and that i should return on the wednesday! I wish it were that simple, as the hospital is a full 2h drive away, and then the return trip if they cant see me!
I mentioned this to the doc, and he gave me a number to phone to check if beds were available so that i was not wasting my trip coming in each time.
I phoned them on the wednesday morning, and they told me that there were still no spare beds, and that i should try again the following monday!
Apparently mondays aren't very promising cos of the weekends events bringing, usually, more trauma victims into the hospital, and hence, the beds getting filled up!
After 2 frustrating weeks of phoning every monday and wednesday, i still have not been seen!
I phoned this morning, and the doctor who will be doing the surgery on me answered, and told me that in his honest opinion, i was wasting my time phoning every week.
He said that the best route to follow would be to come into the hospital on wednesday this week, and to give my name in to the reception that i needed a bed. They would put me on a waiting list for a bed, and when one freed up, i would get it. This would normally happen over the course of the weekend.
I would then stay in the hospital, thus laying claim to my bed, until they could do the operation!
Now, seeing as though they only do these arthroscopy's on a tuesday, wednesday and thursday, it might mean that i spent 4 or 5 days in the hospital without even getting seen to!
He also told me that although they try their best to see everyone who has a bed, as soon as possible, it might be another week before they saw to me!
So, even with a bed, there is no guarantee that i would get operated on within 4 or 5 days...it might be a week longer! Sitting in a hospital, eating hospital food, for up to 10 days or so before i even got the op!
Good grief!
But, not having many options left, i will have to follow these recommendations and go into the hospital on wednesday morning.
I'll know the same day when my admittance date will be. Then its to go stocked up with enough stuff to keep me busy to make it through to the op date, whenever that may be!
The happy days of a patient without medical aid... :(
Hopefully the next time i write will be with happier news...

No comments:

Post a Comment